• Pandey, A., Ding, S.L., Qin, Q.M., Gupta, R., Gomez, G., Lin, F., Feng, X., Fachini da Costa, L., Chaki, S.P., Katepalli, M., Case, E.D., van Schaik, E.J., Sidiq, T., Khalaf, O., Arenas, A., Kobayashi, K.S., Samuel, J.E., Rivera, G.M., Alaniz, R.C., Sze, S.H., Qian, X., Brown, W.J., Rice-Ficht, A., Russell, W.K., Ficht, T.A., and de Figueiredo, P. (2017) Global Reprogramming of Host Kinase Signaling in Response to Fungal Infection. Cell Host Microbe. 21(5): 637-649.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.chom.2017.04.008. PMID: 28494245
• Antfolk, D., Sjöqvist, M., Cheng, F., Isoniemi, K., Duran, C.L., Rivero-Muller, A., Antila, C., Niemi, R., Landor, S., Bouten, C.V.C., Bayless, K.J., Eriksson, J.E., and Sahlgren, C.M. (2017) Selective regulation of Notch ligands during angiogenesis is mediated by vimentin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 114(23): E4574-E4581. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 May 22. PMID: 28533359
• Zhao, X. and Karpac, J. (2017) Muscle Directs Diurnal Energy Homeostasis through a Myokine-Dependent Hormone Module in Drosophila. Curr. Biol. 27(13): 1941-1955.e6. doi: 10.1016/ j.cub.2017.06.004. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jun 29. PMID: 28669758
• Cichocki, J.A., Furuya, S., Venkatratnam, A., McDonald, T.J., Knap, A.H., Wade, T., Sweet, S., Chiu, W.A., Threadgill, D.W., and Rusyn, I. (2017) Characterization of Variability in Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics of Tetrachloroethylene Using the Collaborative Cross Mouse Population. Environ. Health Perspect. 125(5): 057006. doi: 10.1289/EHP788. PMID: 28572074
• Guo, X., Shu, C., Li, H., Pei, Y., Woo, S.L., Zheng, J., Liu, M., Xu, H., Botchlett, R., Guo, T., Cai, Y., Gao, X., Zhou, J., Chen, L., Li, Q., Xiao, X., Xie, L., Zhang, K.K., Ji, J.Y., Huo, Y., Meng, F., Alpini, G., Li, P., and Wu, C. (2017) Sci Cyclic GMP-AMP Ameliorates Diet-induced Metabolic Dysregulation and Regulates Proinflammatory Responses Distinctly from STING Activation. Sci. Rep. 7(1): 6355. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-05884-y. PMID: 28743914
• Devanaboyina, S.C., Khare, P., Challa, D.K., Ober, R.J., and Ward, E.S. (2017) Engineered clearing agents for the selective depletion of antigen-specific antibodies. Nat. Commun. 8: 15314. doi: 10.1038/ ncomms15314. PMID: 28561044
• Prockop, D.J., Oh, J.Y., and Lee, R.H. (2017) Data against a Common Assumption: Xenogeneic Mouse Models Can Be Used to Assay Suppression of Immunity by Human MSCs. Mol. Ther. doi: 10.1016/ j.ymthe.2017.06.004. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jun 21. Review. PMID: 28647464
• Shetty, G.A., Hattiangady, B., Upadhya, D., Bates, A., Attaluri, S., Shuai, B., Kodali, M., Shetty, A.K. (2017) Chronic Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction, Nrf2 Activation and Inflammation in the Hippocampus Accompany Heightened Systemic Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in an Animal Model of Gulf War Illness. Front Mol. Neurosci. 10: 182. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2017.00182. eCollection. PMID: 28659758
• Hillman, P.R., Christian, S.G.B., Doan, R., Cohen, N.D., Konganti, K., Douglas, K., Wang, X., Samollow, P.B., and Dindot, S.V. (2017) Genomic imprinting does not reduce the dosage of UBE3A in neurons. Epigenetics Chromatin. 10: 27. doi: 10.1186/s13072-017-0134-4. eCollection. PMID: 28515788
• Kumar, R., Herold, J.L., Schady, D., Davis, J., Kopetz, S., Martinez-Moczygemba, M., Murray, B.E., Han, F., Li, Y., Callaway, E., Chapkin, R.S., Dashwood, W.M., Dashwood, R.H., Berry, T., Mackenzie, C., and Xu, Y. (2017) Streptococcus gallolyticus subsp. gallolyticus promotes colorectal tumor development. PLoS Pathog. 13(7): e1006440. doi: 10.1371/ journal.ppat. 1006440. eCollection 2017 Jul. PMID: 28704539
• Serrano-Saiz, E., Pereira, L., Gendrel, M., Aghayeva, U., Battacharya, A., Howell, K., Garcia, L.R., and Hobert, O. (2017) A Neurotransmitter Atlas of the Caenorhabditis elegans Male Nervous System Reveals Sexually Dimorphic Neurotransmitter Usage. Genetics. 206(3): 1251-1269. doi: 10.1534/ genetics.117.202127. PMID: 28684604
• Hedrick, E., and Safe, S. (2017) TGFβ/NR4A1 Inducible Breast Cancer Cell Migration and Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition is p38α (MAPK14) Dependent. Mol. Cell Biol. doi: 10.1128/ MCB.00306-17. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jul 3. PMID: 28674186
• Karki, K., Hedrick, E., Kasiappan, R., Jin, U.H., and Safe, S. (2017) Piperlongumine Induces Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)-Dependent Downregulation of Specificity Protein Transcription Factors. Cancer Prev. Res (Phila). doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-17-0053. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jul 3. PMID: 28673967
• Kolluri, S.K., Jin, U.H., and Safe, S. (2017) Role of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in carcinogenesis and potential as an anti-cancer drug target. Arch. Toxicol. 91(7): 2497-2513. doi: 10.1007/s00204-017-1981-2. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 May 15. Review. Erratum in: Arch Toxicol. 2017 Jul 11. PMID: 28508231
• Grabon, Traeger, L.L., Sabat, G., Barrett-Wilt, G.A., Wells, G.B, and Sussman, M.R. (2017) A tail of two voltages: Proteomic comparison of the three electric organs of the electric eel. Sci. Adv. 3(7): e1700523. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.1700523. eCollection. PMID: 28695212
• Kolluri, S.K., Jin, U.H., and Safe, S. (2017) Erratum to: Role of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in carcinogenesis and potential as an anti-cancer drug target. Arch. Toxicol. doi: 10.1007/s00204-017-2026-6. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jul 11. PMID: 28695231
• Grabon, A., Orlowski, A., Tripathi, A., Vuorio, J., Javanainen, M., Róg, T., Lönnfors, M., McDermott, M.I., Siebert, G., Somerharju, P., Vattulainen, I., and Bankaitis, V.A. (2017) Dynamics and Energetics of the Mammalian Phosphatidylinositol Transfer Protein Phospholipid Exchange Cycle. J. Biol. Chem. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.791467. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jul 17. PMID: 28718450
• Fujii, S., Emery, P., and Amrein, H. (2017) SIK3-HDAC4 signaling regulates Drosophila circadian male sex drive rhythm via modulating the DN1 clock neurons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1620483114. [Epub ahead of print] 2017 Jul 25. PMID: 28743754
• Zhang, T.*, Hsu, F.N.*, Xie X.J.*, Li, X., Gao, X., Pei, X., Liao, Y., Du, W.#, and Ji, J.Y.# (2017) Reversal of hyperactive Wnt signaling-dependent adipocyte defects by peptide boronic acids. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, in press (* Equal contribution authors; # Corresponding authors).
• Yue, F., Li, W., Zou, J., Jiang, X., Xu, G., Huang, H., and Liu, L. (2017) Spermidine Prolongs Lifespan and Prevents Liver Fibrosis and Hepatocellular Carcinomas by Activating MAP1S-mediated Autophagy. Cancer Research 77(11): 2938-2951.
• Jiang, M., Han, Z., Li, W., Yue, F., Ye, J., Li, B., Cai, Z., Lu, J., Dong, W., Jiang, X., Zhong, W., He, H., and Liu, L.* (2017). Mitochondrion-associated protein peroxiredoxin 3 promotes benign prostatic hyperplasia through autophagy suppression and pyroptosis activation. Oncotarget. doi: 10.18632/ oncotarget.17927.
• Dr. Steve Maxwell and Dr. Geoffrey Kapler attended the 6th International Conference of the Association of Biochemistry Educators in Clearwater, Florida from May 7- 11, 2017. Dr. Maxwell presented a poster entitled “M1 Grand Rounds: An Innovative Method to Teach Medical Students How to Read and Critically Assess Scientific Literature”. The poster was co-authored by Robin Fuchs-Young, Gregg Wells, and Geoffrey Kapler. The poster was one of eight out of 40 that were chosen for a talk. Over 100 medical schools were represented at the meeting.
• Dr. Roderick Dashwood gave invited seminars at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Cancer Prevention and Control Grand Rounds), Baylor College of Medicine (Digestive Disease Center), The University of Texas Health Science Center, and the University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine.
1) MD Anderson Cancer Prevention and Control Grand Rounds – “CCAR2 as a target for prevention of colorectal cancer” on April 7, 2017.
2) Baylor College of Medicine Digestive Disease Center – “Murine polypectomy and its utility in cancer prevention studies” on April 20, 2017.
3) UT Health School of Dentistry – “Murine polypectomy and its use in cancer prevention studies” on April 24, 2017.
4) University of Pittsburgh – “Histone and non-histone targets of dietary deacetylase inhibitors” on April 27, 2017
• Dr. Fei Liu attended the Gordon Research Conference on Cancer Nanotechnology held on June 18-23, 2017 at Mount Snow in West Dover, VT. He presented a poster titled: “Standardized nanovesicels made from iPSC-MSCs for targeted therapy of breast and prostate cancers”.
• Dr. Roderick Dashwood was an invited speaker at the 32nd Annual Aspen Cancer Conference in Lakewood, CO from July 16-18, 2017 discussing “CCAR2 as a Target for Early Intervention of Colorectal Cancer”.
• Dr. Fei Liu gave an invited seminar at the Peking University School of Stomatology on July 27, 2017 in Beijing, China. The title of his talk was “Functional restoration of salivary glands following radiotherapy by transient activation of Hedgehog signaling pathway”.
• Dr. Fei Liu gave an invited seminar at the PLA General Hospital in Beijing, China on July 28, 2017 entitled “Targeted cancer therapies based on nanoparticles made from iPSC-derived MSCs”.
Professional Activities and Appointments
• Dr. Roderick H. Dashwood, FRSB was elected to the prestigious Royal Society of Biology for making prominent contributions to the advancement of cancer research. The predecessor to the Royal Society of Biology, the Institute of Biology, was founded in 1950 in the United Kingdom. Dr. Dashwood was recruited from Oregon State University and is the director of the Center for Epigenetics & Disease Prevention at Texas A&M University, Institute of Biosciences and Technology in Houston, with affiliated positions in the Department of Nutrition & Food Science at Texas A&M University, the Department of Molecular & Cellular Biology, Texas A&M College of Medicine, and the Department of Clinical Cancer Prevention, MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Dashwood is a distinguished scientist and holder of the John S Dunn Endowed Chair in Disease Prevention.
• Dr. Fei Liu attended the National Nature Science Foundation of
China (NSFC) annual study section from July 19-25, 2017 in
• Dr. Roderick Dashwood served as Chair of the ZRG1 EMNR-A
(07) NIH Grant Review Panel in May, 2017.
• Dr. Fei Liu participated in the NIH/National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research DSR study section in June 2017
• Dr. Robin Fuchs Young attended the NIH SciEd 2017: Annual Conference for NIH Science Education Projects in Washington, D.C. from May 30-June 2, 2017.
• Dr. Steve Maxwell attended the 14th International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma in Lugano, Switzerland from June 10-20, 2017.
• Dona Kanavy (graduate student in the Threadgill lab) attended the Island Invasives Conference at the University of Dundee in Dundee, Scotland from July 10-15, 2017.
• Dr. Roderick Dashwood received funding from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) PREVENT Program for the project “Determination of Effective Dosing Regimens of Erlotinib in Combination with Sulindac for Prevention of Colorectal Cancer” from June 15, 2017 through June 14, 2019.